What is a Comprehensive Plan?
A comprehensive plan examines future possibilities and establishes a clear direction for the community. When adopted it serves as the official guiding document for land use policies in Clark County. It not only examines land use policy and objectives, it includes a broad range of issues, including transportation, community facilities, utilities & infrastructure, parks, environmental assets, quality of life, and more. The purpose of this effort is to be in control of change in the community versus reacting to change that is anticipated to occur.
What areas of Clark County will the plan cover?
The plan will cover Borden and unincorporated places in the County including areas such as Memphis, New Washington and Henryville. Although recommendations will not be made for Jeffersonville, Clarksville, Charlestown or Sellersburg, their existing plans will be referenced during the planning process. Please visit individual government websites to learn more about planning for Jeffersonville, Clarksville, Charlestown and Sellersburg.
How can I get involved?
There are many ways to get involved and provide input during the planning process.
– Follow the project website and our Facebook page
– Attend one of the kick-off public workshops and attend the final public workshop
– Complete the online survey
– Submit additional ideas on the project website or Facebook page
How long will it take to finalize the Comprehensive Plan?
It is anticipated the plan will be complete in the summer of 2019.
How will Clark County use the plan?
The final plan will include an overarching vision statement, broad goals and objectives to accomplish over the next twenty years, as well as specific action steps to be completed. Ultimately the plan will be referenced:
– When creating or adjusting new programs or policies
– For the prioritization of infrastructure projects
– For tools and funding sources that are available for implementing recommendations
– When support is in place for public improvements
– For property rezoning
– When creating yearly budgets
– When unanticipated changes occur
– When new ideas are introduced to ensure they align with the overarching vision